SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Nav Station Is Obsolete, Let's Build a Bar!
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: The Nav Station Is Obsolete, Let's Build a Bar!

I got distracted on my original post and left out a comment for Julie -

Julie, it's absolutely true what you say about the electronic stuff taking over, but not the need for an adequate nav station below decks.

The stuff at the helm is for where you are now and what you are doing now; planning the trip still needs a layout where you can sip wine/coffee etc.. and plot the courses with way points and such.

If you build it out at the helm only you have to do all that plotting at the helm, not so comfy nor nice as sitting below and doing it with your partner over some goodies.

Check out the thread about iPod's and chartplotters, there are lots of good tools out there now that let you use them remotely from below decks like my Raymarine e7d does (not in the picture, that's the 'as bought' view of my helm.

And always carry paper charts, they make nice conversation pieces (and backups).