SailNet Community - View Single Post - picking up a vacant mooring
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012

delite is on a distinguished road
Re: picking up a vacant mooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
In BC, the government told me they dont give water leases for private morings, so anyone is free to use any mooring they please, legally. I certainly do, after giving it a good shot of reverse to check it out. If no one hassles me, I feel obliged to clean the growth off it, and put a coupler of peel and stick reflectors on it, so it can be easily found after dark. The growth is an indicator of how little use it has had.
You got some really bad info Brent. You may want to visit these sites to get the real info. Firstly BC does not regulate private moorings, Transport Canada does (http://www.for.gov.bc.ca/land_tenure...te_moorage.pdf point 1 on page 4)

Here is what Transport Canada has to say:
7.1 The placement of a single point mooring buoy by a proponent will not require the submission of an application for approval under the provisions of the NWPA (Navigable Waterways Protection Act) subject to meeting the criteria specified in Annex “A"

Annex A
The placement of a single mooring buoy meeting the following criteria will not require further review by the Navigable Waters Protection Program and the project may proceed.

The mooring buoy must be:

Secured by a single anchor line,
Marked as per An Owners’ Guide to Private Buoys 8.4

The mooring buoy including swing area must be:
Placed no less than 20 meters from any existing docks, boathouses, swim platforms, other mooring buoy or other structure located within limits of waterway,

Placed at least 50 meters from any public launch ramp, marina, known navigation channel

AND:
Where free swinging moorings are utilized, they shall require a circular area having a radius equal to three (3) times the length of the vessel
Moored vessels must comply with the Collision Regulations.

Mooring Buoys - Transport Canada

Our mooring in 75 feet of water has a 1000 lb block of concrete attached to 60 feet of 1/2 inch chain and 100 feet of 1 inch rode. I dont care if someone wants to use it when its unoccupied, especially if they do as you do and clean it but if I show up and ask you to leave you will be leaving.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook