SailNet Community - View Single Post - can I afford to continue sailing
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: can I afford to continue sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey1999 View Post
Or if we don't spend it, the tax man will take it.
Unfortunately, there is some true to that.

I met with Alan Greenspan once, who said that America became the most prosperous nation in the world because we protected personal property rights better than anywhere else. If you earned it, you kept it and our government would not dream of taking it away. That caused people to invest, take risk, hire people and bring capital and innovation from other countries to the US.

While one can argue for an income tax, there comes a point when it is just taking from anothers effort. However, spend it or they will take it is clear in estate tax and is highly feared in retirement savings. Congressional fangs are out when they see the amount of deferred taxes in our cummulative 401k savings and the drool is spreading. When section 401k of the IRS code was first written in the 1970s, they had no intention of it becoming what it is today. Almost everyone had a regular pension back then, from companies that paid taxes. They were simply trying to supplement the idea that Social Security was not going to keep up. Yes, its been kicked down the road this far.

Off soap box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook