SailNet Community - View Single Post - can I afford to continue sailing
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012
Bring On The Wind

CatMan22 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: can I afford to continue sailing

After years of dreaming of owning a sailboat and much to the chagrin of my wife I bought a Gale Force 20, nice little boat with a cuddy cabin that was a blast to sail and overnight on, though she would never stay on it with me. The wife hated it but tolerated it because she saw the joy I got from it. The economy went down the tubes, my wife's business started to suffer so I sold the boat and gave her the money, which unfortunately did not prevent the collapse but only prolonged it of her coffee shop. Fast forward six months later I start looking through boat ads and discussing them with her and out of the blue she says "make sure the next one is bigger than the 20. I look around and find a Catalina 22 that needs work but shows a lot of promise and buy her. I spend three months retrofitting the interior, ask her to pick fabric for cushion covers, curtains, etc. She goes with to buy stove, cookware, all other items necessary to overnight and starts to get into it, but the thing that really changed her mind was one day we were sailing and I went below to get her a glass of wine and gave her the helm and instead of coming right back I sat in the companionway for 30 minutes or so and talked her through navigating across the lake, since that day she's been all for the boat, overnights and loves the meals we cook, and more importantly she discusses what features she would like on our next boat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"hark, now hear the sailors cry,
smell the sea, and feel the sky
let your soul & spirit fly, into the mystic..."
Van Morrison
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook