SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Paulo,

You keep refering to government bodies issuing mandatory requirements such as insurance and increasing compliance regulations. This must be something specific to Portugal or European countries.

Insurance is not required in the United States in many areas. Government regulations are not as intrusive it appears as in Portugal. It is far more diffocult to enforce laws/ policies in the United States than in a country the size of New Jersey or Florida like Portuagal is. Because of this many of your statements which you write down dont really apply to this country. They are not wrong...because they occur in Portugal, but what is wrong is that you ASSUME they occur everywhere else when in FACT they do not. Maybe we should learn the best practices in Protugal and apply them to the US. Maybe some will not be applied because they only work in a small relm or scope and cannot be enforced in a larger context. Because of this sometimes your frame of reference is not the same as mine or others from the US. That does not make us wrong or mean that US sailors are n ot in their right mind, as it IS NOT mandatory here.

Quote:
I don't know if it is mandatory in the US but nobody in its right mind will cross an Ocean or make a long passage without one
Many coastal sailors here do not have EPIRBS. In fact very few of the sailors I know personally have EPIRBS even though they sail in large bodies of water. ( I have both a boat beacon and personal ones)

In addition you state things like they are facts when in fact they are opinions. When asked for supporting documentation you are throwing it back on the questioner.

For instance you stated--
Quote:
I am quite sure that ships and fishing boats are not having more accidents but lesser, so if the numbers are increasing that can only mean more deep water pleasure boat accidents

When asked about how you arrived at this conclusion, whether there were facts supporting your speculation you now want me to disprove it with facts???? Disprove the wild speculation based on wrong assumnptions and reading of the data?

Ok....you stated that you were quite sure there were ships and fishing boats having less accidents...again based on what...your hunch????? Well I am not so sure this is the case. It would stand to reason that there are more ships and fishing boats than in the past, and the fleet gets older each year. more boats in decreasing good condition...so why would there be less accidents or SAR calls. In fact there may be more and oit would stand to reason there are morte, because there is now electronics to do it more.

The trend I find in your posts is that you post like the things you say are fact as opposed to saying IMHO or IMO. You have been challanged a few times on the validity of your facts and throw it back at the challenger and in a number of instances have been shown to have in error. The problem here is that some of the newbies may actually beleive what you are saying is factual which would give them a false sense of security or knowledge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook