SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post

Regarding pleasure boats carrying an epirb offshore that is mandatory by law in almost all (I din't know if it is mandatory in the UK) European countries for more than 10 years. I don't know if it is mandatory in the US but nobody in its right mind will cross an Ocean or make a long passage without one so I guess those numbers are reliable in what regards an increase in accidents.
Actually, there are a few strongly principled voyagers out there who do just that - and they are most certainly of "a right mind", I can assure you... (grin)

I'm thinking of Tim and Pauline Carr, the remarkable couple who've cruised the waters south of the Antarctic Convergence and South Georgia for a decade or more...

Fully cognizant of the extreme risk of sailing such a part of the world, in such a boat, they intentionally decline to carry any means of calling for assistance - no EPIRB, no HF radio - feeling that it is their choice to sail those waters, and that it would be unfair to place any potential rescuer's lives in jeopardy in assisting them, in such a dangerously harsh and remote environment... Such a commitment, I find to be admirable in the highest degree, my respect for these people is boundless...

I've had the great honor of meeting Tim and Pauline on two occasions... First, when they were promoting their book ANTARCTIC OASIS during a fete at the Annapolis YC, and then several years later, when I finally made it to Grytviken myself...

One of my most prized possessions, an inscribed copy of ANTARCTIC OASIS... One of the most beautiful books ever published by cruisers, anyone interested in extreme voyaging/high latitude sailing - or, simply one of the most remarkable places on the planet - owes it to oneself to check it out...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 11-21-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook