SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
I am not talking about insurance but laws that regulate safety requirements and crews requirements in ships and in fishing boats. Do you mean that US has not any? You are certainly kidding and I would bet that in the US those requirements 15 years ago were less demanding then what they are now. Maybe Nolatom or CapAaron can clarify this.
Actually, Paulo, they are one and the same thing and yes, the US, does.

There is an overarching requirement for all commercial shipping travelling the waters of the world (including fishing boats), to comply with SOLAS or they simply cannot legally leave port. Part of the regulations require that these vessels be registered by one of the many classification bureaus including Lloyds Register (LR), BV, DNV, RINa and ABS - the American Bureau of Shipping. Each of these "authorities" carry their own set of rules and standards covering everything from hull construction and electrical wiring to the type of anchor they can use.

ABS isn't the toughest out there, but they're not too bad. Previous stuff posted here indicates HMS Bounty was registered with ABS and thus could be expected to meet all of their requirements - including the safety ones - which are all available on-line.

Last edited by Classic30; 11-22-2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Inserted 'legally' - in case anyone gripes..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook