SailNet Community - View Single Post - can I afford to continue sailing
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road
Re: can I afford to continue sailing

This just came back to me-

Every year while my kids were growing up we spent a full week boat camping on Lake George. My wife grudgingly went along with it because of the out houses but it was the best. Sleeping in a big tent, star gazing on the boat out in the middle of the lake, cooking over fire. I have many memories. The one that comes back to me now is one hot sunny day my youngest boy and I motored over to the ranger office on another island andgot ice cream cones. The sky was blue, the water was like silk and we sat on benches watching the boats coming and going and eating ice cream.

A big Sea Ray came in and we helped the guy tie up. He looked at us for a minute and he looked at our $3000 boat . His boat was easily 100 grand. He sat down with us and we chatted. He looked at my little boy happily eating his ice cream cone. He said you know family is the only real wealth. He asked about my family and I told him my other two sons and my wife were on the next island over. He said, you can get more money anytime, but the kind of wealth I had right then was the best. I never forgot that.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 11-22-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook