SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lash Me To The Mast Before I Buy A Boat!
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Lash Me To The Mast Before I Buy A Boat!

I don't know why all you sissies are bitching about epoxy fumes. If you've ever worked with polyester resin or gel coat you'd know that epoxy smells like a spring afternoon by comparison.
A little ventilation and careful work habits make working with epoxy pretty straight forward. I know that our Julie will do her best to be very careful - she is a safety maven at work remember.
She can start out by reading the West Systems Use Guides: WEST SYSTEM | Use Guides
More advanced techniques involve using various plastics and even very thin plywood for molds. The less sanding you have to do to finish your work the better and your nose will thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Fiberglass work is way easier than woodwork. If you can wallpaper, you can fiberglass - in fact I find glass to be EASIER than wallpaper - you don't have to match seams perfectly.

Core work is really no more difficult than making a peanut butter sandwich.

Epoxy fumes aren't a problem - they are much less than polyester. The problem with epoxy is if you get it on your skin over a long period of time you can become sensitized and will get rashes from it. Careful work and ALWAYS wearing plastic gloves will alleviate that problem.

The biggest thing with glass work is to work neatly so you minimize any grinding or sanding - that's the nasty part.

You go girl.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CalebD; 11-23-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook