SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you about Hurricanes?
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012

eric-the-red is on a distinguished road
What do you about Hurricanes?

As I think about spending the next part of my life cruising the carribean, I'm wondering how to handle hurricanes. I imagine you can't always run from them and so end up having to ride them out. Do you stay on the hook, look for a haul out...what works, what doesn't?

I actually rode out Hurricane Isabel in 2003 aboard my 34' Cruisers powerboat on the intercoastal waterway and had a ball. But I had the absolute perfect circumstances - was living aboard in the Albemarle Sound in Elizabeth City NC, had plenty of warning it was coming, and was able to get into the ICW, tie up under a bridge, so I was perfectly protected from the storm surge, wind, waves and debris. I had it much better than those in houses for a few weeks since I had a genset, power, refrigeration, etc.

But I also know, had I left my boat at the dock, it would have been destroyed as the dock was pretty much totalled. So while I totally had a ball, I also came away with a serious respect for the power of a Hurricane...Isabel was only a Cat 1.

I imagine sailing in the carib would put you in a far more vulnerable situation. So curious to know what I should plan on.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook