SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Statistics show the numbers are down...hard to justify people are taking risks you are speculating on.

Dave
I have only my own stats... In my 4 years and 1 circumnavigation I have not known anyone who has died. I do know four who have lost their boats but survived. These are actually people I know as in I have met. Nor friends of friends. Have heard of some on the Internet, but that's different.
So 4 years no deaths.

Now read any of the circumnavigator books from the 1970's and 80's and each of them knew someone who died cruising.
Lin and Larry Pardy met quite a number including 4 or 5 on a steel hull boat that was lost in the Indian Ocean.

So I think it's gotten much, much safer. And I agree with Dave I am not more reckless because I have an EPIRB, I am LESS reckless because I was anchored in a cyclone when I thought it was smart to risk the cyclone season... Now I all away sail in the correct season... Looking death in the face makes one more careful.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook