SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello from Bombay, India
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012

Atlas is on a distinguished road
Re: Hello from Bombay, India

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuiet View Post
I just checked out your blog and noticed that you are hoping to inform us more about the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal. I say bring it ! Love to hear more, what kind of boats are people cruising on there? Are people cruising?
Hi Cap'n,

Only a very small minority of Indians participate in recreational boating, which is a shame given our long coastline. Even fewer take up the challenge of sailboats. However, there are some boating clubs mainly in the big cities like Bombay and Madras. I know of at least two land-locked boating clubs in Pune and Bhopal.

Most sailboats are imported Jeanneaus/ 470s/ 420s/ Lasers, with some lightnings/ optimists being manufactured in India. The ancient seabird half-rater is still going strong in Bombay, with new boats being built in fibreglass.

I don't know of any liveaboard/ cruising sailors except the mega rich guys with the floating palaces which they take up to Dubai or Singapore once in a while.