SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hello from Bombay, India
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 11-23-2012 Thread Starter
Re: Hello from Bombay, India

Originally Posted by CaptainQuiet View Post
I just checked out your blog and noticed that you are hoping to inform us more about the Arabian Sea and the Bay of Bengal. I say bring it ! Love to hear more, what kind of boats are people cruising on there? Are people cruising?
Hi Cap'n,

Only a very small minority of Indians participate in recreational boating, which is a shame given our long coastline. Even fewer take up the challenge of sailboats. However, there are some boating clubs mainly in the big cities like Bombay and Madras. I know of at least two land-locked boating clubs in Pune and Bhopal.

Most sailboats are imported Jeanneaus/ 470s/ 420s/ Lasers, with some lightnings/ optimists being manufactured in India. The ancient seabird half-rater is still going strong in Bombay, with new boats being built in fibreglass.

I don't know of any liveaboard/ cruising sailors except the mega rich guys with the floating palaces which they take up to Dubai or Singapore once in a while.

The only dumb question is the one that you didn't ask because you thought it would make you look dumb.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome