SailNet Community - View Single Post - tiller head for a Galilee?
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012

redhorse is on a distinguished road
Re: tiller head for a Galilee?

I've just recently made a replacement tiller for my Galilee (#355) using an ash wheelbarrow handle. Picked up the handle at Lowe's 'Superstore' for around $15 bucks (if I remember correctly), made couple of cuts on a table saw for width and holes for the rudder control and mounting to post, added some stain and spray-on Minwax Helmsman Spar Urethane-Satin. ...Can't upload pics, I think my pic files are too large to be accepted, sorry. Important to keep tiller handle somewhat 'short' so helmsman can move port/starboard between mainsheet and handle during tacks. Suggest a length of around 28" max from center of rudder post forward to end of handle. I also purchased a 'breakaway' dingy rudder cleat from West Marine(?) and mounted to top of tiller just forward of rudder control line holes (coming up from rudder). This is used in case I hit something with rudder,...it will pop the cleat line and allow the rudder to kick up and hopefully not break anything in the process. Hope this helps another Gal owner...good luck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook