SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Fortunately i can help you out.
RITA | BTS | Table 2-49: U.S. Coast Guard Search and Rescue Statistics, Fiscal Year

RITA | BTS | Table 2-49: U.S. Coast Guard Search and Rescue Statistics, Fiscal Year

I am actually suprised. I though it would be more too. I guess that shoots the whole electrontics has lerad to more dangerous sailing taking more risks theory and costoing us more money.

Now whos the first one going to say these arent accurate or most events arent recorded?????
I wont argue the numbers. The same statistics running from 1964 to 2011 can be found on the U.S. Coast Guard's website under statistics. If we're talking about use of taxpayer dollars in compensating the CG for rescuing "irresponsible and inexperienced" sailors, then paid subscriptions to private rescue firms would not apply. It is my opinion that distance from land only affects time and cost. If you cast off the lines and sail 5 miles out, you still run the risk of requiring rescue for any number of events. The shorter distance will not elliminate cost/time, only reduce it. From what I gather from looking at the CG statistics, nearly every column shows a downward trend. My interpretation is that boating has become more safe, not less so.

I do agree that boat skippers should know there limitations and not operate on the "press button = get rescued" mindset but for professional mariners or powerboaters to say that sailing offshore in a small boat is burdening the CG and taxpayers needlessly is like the pot calling the kettle black. IMHO, mom and pop sailing to Europe for the first time with all the latest electronics and safety equipment is no more dangerous than the jackass in the cigarette boat flying through a crowded harbor trying to impress the girls or the container ship crossing the same ocean who nearly collides with mom and pop because the watch would rather catch a nap than maintain a proper watch.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook