SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

We cant live in the past. I doubt whether the celes nav I learned 30 years ago would do me much good now as I dont practice it often. Sailors back then with celestial nav were still wrecking their boats on the coast of North carloina. The answer isnt to go back to the old days here. We cant. The answer is to understand the limitations of your experience and how it realtes to the increased information we have now. I dont think my chartplotter gives me an increased sense of infalliabilty or causes me to take more risks, because I depend on it. Thats where I differ from your thinking.
Sorry, but I remain completely baffled by my apparent inability to make myself understood on this matter...

OK, One More Time...

I am not suggesting some sort of wholesale "return to the past", or "throwing away our chartplotters", or any such dismissal of the use of today's technology... Someone, anyone, show me precisely where I have advocated such an approach, please...

I have tried to express that a chartplotter was a likely CONTRIBUTING FACTOR, not the sole CAUSE of this incident... I don't know how many more different ways I can try to make that plain... Still, I think it was likely the decisive factor in the skipper's decision to go against the advice of the rally organizers and others, I simply cannot imagine he would have summoned the nerve to enter that cut, in those conditions, without such means of navigating/piloting at his disposal... On that, I suppose we will simply have to agree to disagree...

One last time, let me shout it from the mountaintop: I LOVE MY CHARTPLOTTER!, and all the convenience, confidence and security it affords me... Definitely, some of the best money I've ever spent, almost on a par with my Sailomat windvane...

I have NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER to return to the Good Old Days, or consign my electronic nav aids to the trash bin - nor am I encouraging anyone else to do so... I'm simply suggesting that this technology is often being MISUSED by many sailors today, that is all...

Even, when it's doing its best to convince me not to believe my own lyin' eyes...

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook