SailNet Community - View Single Post - VHF Radio in the cockpit
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012

NCC320 is on a distinguished road
Re: VHF Radio in the cockpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post

Thats an option 2 of course, but then some have limited room or dont wnat the added clutter. Most wired Ram Mikes are pretty cheap actually. If you get a second VHF would you also put a second antanaae on your mast?

The advantage of the wireless for me is that you arent teathered. Kind of like the advatage of a mobile phone in the house. I have a couple handhelds also. One for backup and one for the ditchbag.
As to antenna, with a radio at helm and also below at nav desk, they could share the same antenna with a manual switch operated from the nav desk (leave normal position for antenna to helm radio, switch only when you choose to use at nav desk). Or a second antenna. Or a second antenna that is mounted on rail. The only advantage of the 2 radio option is that you get a backup to the radio. With the one radio and RAM mikes, if the radio goes, you have no radio. Might be an advantage for those who go offshore and are subject to adverse conditions for extended periods.

I personally have 25 watt radio, mast top antenna at nav desk, and handheld portable at helm or with me, as appropriate. Don't use either often.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook