SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006

dawndreamer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWinters
... may be a big reflection on the differing viewpoints the younger generation has than the boomers.
The current young generations, be they called X, Y or whatever, haven't invented the early departure to pursue dreams. I would think that this urge has been followed by individuals from each generation throughout history. Call it wanderlust, adventure-seeking, an exploratory nature or simply restlessness, it has always sent the self-selected off into the world beyond their known circle.

At age thirty, I took a two-year sabbatical from the Navy to drive across Europe and Asia, primarily to climb virgin peaks in the Hindu Kush of Afghanistan. Then I bummed around the French and Italian Alps putting up some new routes, before returning to Canada to set-up and conduct leadership development programmes at an outdoor education school. These two years taught me much more about myself than had the preceding thirty.

I again put on my naval cap, but this time with a purpose clearly in mind. In 1981, at the age of thirty-six I resigned my commission and set up a small business that within ten years gave me a seven-digit bank account. I've been playing ever since.

It takes guts to pull the pin and leave the comfort of the known to set off in whatever vehicle, be it shoe leather or sailboat. I know, I only half pulled it the first time, and then went back to regroup for a few years. There is nothing wrong with a step backwards along the way, as long as the mind remains on the goal.

While there certainly is a predoninance of gray hairs in most marinas, I would think this has more to do with the resources required to "gain admission". Also, many of the young boat owners are off sailing, rather than hanging around.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook