SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

JOn .

He was on a mission, He made the bad decision when he entered turned the boat toward the Bahamas into shallow water against advice from the rally organizers. He had plenty of time to heave to, continue on and instead against advice and logic he chose to head for shore and shelter.

Wether you want to quibble over the word enable or cause makes no difference really. Decisions get traced back to the Captain. You asked for an example of implication and you statement below for instance I believe you give a mixed message here when you embolden the Cause word. Unless you are using invisable ink I see the word caused not enabled and I see it emboldened in caps.

Quote:
We can only speculate what CAUSED Ross to attempt to enter that cut that night -
In the spirit of carefully posting these read differently, especially from a person with your obvious credentials

Maybe you meant to write it this way

We can only SPECULATE what enabled Ross to attempt to enter the cut that night

Quote:
I always endeavor to express myself in these discussions clearly, and with precision.... Again, I invite you - or anyone else - to show me something I've written which implies I believe the chartplotter aboard RULE 62 to be a direct CAUSE of that tragedy, or would absolve the captain of any responsibility in the slightest degree... If I believed a chartplotter was the "cause" of the tragedy, I would have said so... Thus, my use of the word "enabled", instead...
I agree this thread has run its course. There are other tragedies happening for the SN comment on. All we can do now is wait for the results of the inquirey which will give us insight into any of the factors which enabled/ caused the sinking of the Bounty once she arrived ibn the teeth of the storm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-24-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook