SailNet Community - View Single Post - Folding prop help
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Folding prop help

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul323 View Post
As has been pointed out by others, and worth reiterating: Consider how you will use the boat.

If you want to race, and have the money, get a folding prop as discussed. No-brainer.

If you are cruising/weekend sailing, consider a fixed prop - for a boat your size, a 3-blade. Fixed props are significantly cheaper (there is a big used market), easier to maintain, less likely to go wrong if you are miles offshore. Arguably more robust. Arguably better for reversing - although much depends on the folder brand.

Folding/feathering props are more expensive, benefit from maintenance (e.g. annual removal, cleaning, reassembly), more likely to go wrong - BUT you'll probably get 0.5knot more speed, and they tend to be quieter (although fixed props people often leave the engine in reverse - no noise, more drag).

Good luck!
Very well put. I agree totally with what paul has said. I would also like to mention that many are very happy with the "low drag fixed 3 blade prop" made by Campbell. Practical sailor has surely done a review somewhere as well. If I had extra money, this is what I would get as I prize reliability over drag, but would like to reduce drag.
West by North Enterprises - Campbell Sailer

If you like folders there is a fairly inexpensive folder on the market with replacable carbon fiber blades called the kiwiprop.
Kiwiprop Home of the Kiwi feathering prop

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook