SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
All of us that were used to navigate at night without a plotter know that today we do navigation at night with a plotter that would not have attempted without one-PCP.
No my friend not ALL of us do that. That is highly risky and quite frankly sets a bad example for any newbie here. You and others have intimated that chartplotters are not accurate. In fact you related an experience about a rock with your wife, that only sight or chart reconning would identify.

Why would you
Quote:
do navigation at night with a plotter that would not have attempted without one
when it is not accurate. Why would you risk you life, the people with you and your boat doing something at night using a piece of equipemnt you do not trust and has shown to be inaccurate by your own eyes? Why would you go ANYWHERE at night you couldnt wouldnt attempt without the chartplotter?

You are confusing, on one hand you point out we rely on the chartplotters and shouldnt, then on the other hand state you go places at night you wouldnt have attempted without a chartplotter. ( Isnt this waht JOn is claiming the Captain Ross did)

Our modern sophisticated chartplotter is and aide to navigating not the navigator. I would go no where, at night or in the day that I would put at risk my safety if the chartplotter was wrong or it failed while using. I do NOT trust it by itself implicitly

Captain Ross tuned away from the Rally in daylight,
Captain Ross headed for the North Bar Channel in daylight,
Captian Ross was warned by Rally organizers not to go on there,
Captain Ross chose to come in this entrance vs heaving to or taking a different passage which was more protected.
Captain Ross CHOSE to enter the Rage area in daylight ( sound familiar with sailing into a hurricane)

He had made his decision and he was going to carry it through. He had eschewed all information and recommendations from others, he violated a number of common sense rules like coming in an unfamiliar inlet at night ( chartplotter or not), as well as sailing directly into a rage, as well as heading for shallow rougher water ( like Hatteras) in the midst of 50 knott wibnds and opposing current and sea. It is the human who is at fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
.. That turned out to be an astoundingly poor decision. If he had simply laid a course for the NE Providence Channel, and after only a few more hours of sailing, he could have tucked in behind Hole in the Wall, for instance, for a bit of rest...
So true, you are 100% right here. The chartplotter didnt coerce or enable him to choose the North Channel He screwed up, 30 more miles as Mark and you have said hed have been in less wave action and easier seas. He made the wrong choice..he headed for the North Channel....kind of like Captain Walbridge did...he headed into danger instead of away from it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 11-24-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook