SailNet Community - View Single Post - Performing compression test on Penta
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Re: Performing compression test on Penta

Misfits: We'll probably have an outboard (or a Torqueedo) for the dink; I plan to arrange the swim ladder to mount the outboard, in an emergency. It's a reverse-transom IOR boat w/ typically high counter, so conventional O/B brackets don't work so good.

HS: thanks for the info. Boat is not in the water & is unlikely to be until launching in CA. We may pull the engine in April & run it on a pallet. Right now it is winterized & it probably needs to stay that way. What I can see of the coolant passages suggests some surface rust, but not too bad. Might run a warm vinegar mix thru the block in Spring for about three straight days. Our local kids are pretty sharp little wrenchers, some of them -- and they'd have a instructor looking over their shoulders if we submitted the engine for rebuild. It's a bone-simple engine -- might have a go at it myself. Who performs oil analysis? Do you have to mail it off, or can a local garage do it?

The guy who delivered the boat said it smoked pretty bad; the haulout yard thinks the injectors just need cleaning; I think the boat might be overpropped a touch. It has an aftermarket 14x9 Gori folder. IIRC, the original prop for this engine was a 12" folder. Hard to not overprop a 10hp engine!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook