SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
You seem to use this as an example of how a chartplotter makes you less safe. But the real irony here is your own example demonstrates that the chartplotter made you MORE safe, not LESS. You had a false alarm because the chartplotter had a 100 meter error. So as a result, you double-checked to make sure your ded reckoning position was correct. You had two sources of information that weren't agreeing, so you gave it some additional attention to resolve the discrepancy. This made you safer, not less safe.
I don't understand your logic. I am talking about guys that have a blind faith on the absolute precision of the plotter, like the captain of rule 62. If I was one of those and if I was navigating at night and blindingly trusted the plotter without giving a big berth to its information and was passing 100m at starboard of that rock I would have hit it.

I am not saying that the plotter is not very useful. See my previous post. I am saying that the plotter can be very dangerous for the ones that trust blindly its information and I am quite sure the Captain of Rule 62 is not the only one.

Regards

Paulo
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook