SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Sizing - am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Battery Sizing - am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartscharts View Post
Well, I ended up buying two Everstart Marine 29DC (selection #95), 845 marine cranking, 122AH@1amp batteries.
Something is fishy. Industry standard is to rate batteries at a 20hr discharge rate. 1amp discharge suggests these batteries would last 122hrs, but if you increase the draw to 2amps, the hours drop by more than half due to resistance.

Increase the draw to a fairly light 5 or 6 amps and, while the linear math would suggest 20+ hours, I'm sure it would be substantially less. Maybe only a few hours.

Further compound this by best practice not to draw your batteries down by more than 50% of their capacity for longest life and these sound like they may be a little light.

Going to one or two smaller batteries sounded like a good idea, its just that something doesn't sound right about these, if they are advertised at 1amp. There are some battery gurus around here that may know better than I.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook