SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery Sizing - am I crazy?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Battery Sizing - am I crazy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
Something is fishy. Industry standard is to rate batteries at a 20hr discharge rate. 1amp discharge suggests these batteries would last 122hrs, but if you increase the draw to 2amps, the hours drop by more than half due to resistance.

Increase the draw to a fairly light 5 or 6 amps and, while the linear math would suggest 20+ hours, I'm sure it would be substantially less. Maybe only a few hours.

Further compound this by best practice not to draw your batteries down by more than 50% of their capacity for longest life and these sound like they may be a little light.

Going to one or two smaller batteries sounded like a good idea, its just that something doesn't sound right about these, if they are advertised at 1amp. There are some battery gurus around here that may know better than I.

As I mentioned in an earlier post the Ah rating on those batts is meaningless. Likely a BAD mistake by the marketing department... Problem is no one at Wal*Mart knows the correct specs....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook