SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSeaLife View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg
.. That turned out to be an astoundingly poor decision. If he had simply laid a course for the NE Providence Channel, and after only a few more hours of sailing, he could have tucked in behind Hole in the Wall, for instance, for a bit of rest...
Finally a portion of a post of yours i agree with.
It was only an extra 30 nms to go to be protected for the waves, that's what was making them sick.
I made the suggestion on some forum at the time, but no one seemed to see how significant it was. 30 miles to safety, but a seasick crew, added to tiredness fuzzed up their brains.

Of course nothing to do with paper charts or ECN. A fool using either will get into strife.

Mark
I'm merely asserted - in an effort to identify the likely causes of the obvious failure of Ross to appreciate the bigger picture - that the lack of a larger paper chart at his disposal could have been a reasonable, probable explanation... I'm certainly not alone in viewing the ability of plotters and e-charts alone to appreciate The Big Picture as one of their principal limitations... Again, try to remember that not every user of such things may not be as adept with a cursor or mouse as you are... (grin)

I don't see how anyone who was not aboard that boat, or has no knowledge of the tools available to the skipper or what he was thinking, can so unequivocally and categorically eliminate such a scenario/explanation as being within the realm of possibility...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 11-25-2012 at 08:43 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook