SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lash Me To The Mast Before I Buy A Boat!
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Lash Me To The Mast Before I Buy A Boat!

R.I.P. Broker said the boat is under contract.

There's a part of me that wants to thank the contracted buyer.

But this has been a great exercise in the boat buying experience. If I lived in the Annapolis area and went out to look at the boat, I may have made a snap decision and handed the broker a check and have no idea what I just bought. Once you step on a boat you can afford, it's easy to become emotionally invested and therefore irrational.

Instead some SailNetters here offered to look at her for me and did. I got great information from them. On advise from SNers I contacted a surveyor who was unavailable but who gave me a lot of great information and the name of another surveyor. I spoke to that surveyor who gave me the name of a diesel mechanic he works with and we talked about a sea trial with all three of us on board. Naturally, I'd have to fly out there for that.

The last request I made of the broker (on advise of the second surveyor) was engine work receipts and a detailed explanation of what "engine refurbished 2000" meant. The broker replied the contract had just been signed.

While I'm a little disappointed, I learned a lot. But I was prepared. Right from the beginning I told myself I wouldn't buy unless I had a pretty good idea what I was getting myself into. The engine was the last piece of the puzzle.

I know owning a boat is always wrought with problems. I found that out with my dad's boat. After the end of the first season, we took it up the Chicago River and tied it up at the boat yard for them to put it on the hard for the winter. About a month later the boat yard called my dad and said the boat had sunk. They still hadn't pulled it out of the water and we had missed closing a seacock that went to a glass strainer. It was late November.

It took about three years to get everything back working again. And that boat was only two years old when he bought it. I was prepared for a lot of work. I just wanted to have some kind of an idea how much.

Thanks to all who helped. Your advise and input has been much appreciated. I'm going to hold off on the search until I have things at home done. There's still a lot to do.

Now, can someone unlash me from this mast?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook