SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do I Need an EPIRB?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Do I Need an EPIRB?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
Number 3 is the answer, plus the following:

a. Inspect and replace as necessary all hoses below the waterline;
b. Inspect and repair electrical system to avoid accidental fire;
c. Inspect and replace as necessary all running lights;
d. Test and repair as necessary manual and automatic bilge pumps;
e. Buy paper charts for your area and proper navigation/piloting tools - learn how to navigate without electronics;
f. Buy handheld VHF and handheld GPS;
g. Buy storm jib and possibly trisail;
h. Buy and install any materiel to ensure your reefing equipment works properly;
i. Tow inflatable dinghy; and
j. Equip and ready ditch bag.

There, I just saved you thousands of $$$ in unnecessary electronics and toys. AIS, chartplotters and EPIRB are not necessary for coastal cruising on a 25' boat, although, of the three, the EPIRB would be the first I would spend money on.
I would agree that prepping well would substantially reduce the possibility of abandoning ship. However, it happens.

If it did, what good with the EPIRB be in 50 degree water? I suppose, if you were able to stay in the dinghy, you would live. However, you would have to limit the passages to fairly calm seas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook