SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurphny View Post
OK, let's just not agree. Next topic
That's Ok with me

Let me Clarify: Regarding the knowledge you have to have I do not defend that you have to take courses to get it.

what I defend is that you have to show that you have the knowledge. You should have the right to do the same tests as the ones that had a formal training are required to do to have a licence. If you pass the tests and the sea prove you have as right at your certification as they have. Of course this, even for someone that has sea experience, implies a lot of study and a lot of books to learn but it is not impossible.

I had all my licences taken that way till Coastal Captain (200Nm out of shore) and there are several other mandatory licences till you reach that one. I just inscribed myself for the examination (with all the other guys that had taken a full course) made the tests, passed them and made the sea proves as well. Only for an unlimited licence I have taken a full course.

I defend the right of anybody to be tested for a certification, course or not, but I also defend the necessity of confirmation that any guy that exercises a profession or an activity that demands special knowledge and involves risks to others to be submitted to testing that confirms at least that he has the needed knowledge.

Of course as TakeFive has said: "Having a certification does not guarantee full competence in any field. However, a person who lacks the ability or persistence to pass the certification requirements is almost certainly not fully competent. In other words, certification is a necessary but not sufficient condition for competence".

Regards

Paulo

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-25-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook