SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
re: First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex W View Post
Since it is your first boat and you'll probably be doing some work on it I'd keep it close to home at first. You can move it closer to better sailing destinations later. I'm on my second boat, and on both my first and second boats I've been visiting it multiple times per week for the first 4-6 months as I work on projects and get it setup the way that I like. After that my visits trailed off and having it farther away wouldn't be a problem. Boats are easy to move and moorage isn't hard to find when you aren't in a hurry.
Alex has a very good point. You probably won't want to take the boat into The Slot until you get some experience anyway. Keep her closer to home so you can work on the bizzilion little projects a newly acquired boat always seems to have and polish you sailing skills in the South Bay for a while. Just keep off the shoals and keep away from those old pilings/submerged breakwaters/et cetera.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook