SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
re: First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotyara View Post
Yes, that is what I'm guestimating. I'll have to start early to peek out of the Gate, but it is still better than about 5 hours out of Redwood City. The next harbor north is Oyster Point, and that would be close to an hour drive... There's also Santa Cruz and Half Moon Bay, but ocean sailing is a little out of my reach just yet. As I said, if you know of other options, I'd appreciate them.
I suggest you click over to Activecaptain.com and register (it's free) and use the interactive charts/google maps to inspect the areas around the Bay that you can more easily access from Cupertino. Frankly, from Cupertino, there are few really "convenient" harbors although some are less inconvenient than others and I agree that, initially, you'll want the boat rather closer to home than not. It will also be advantageous to have a sailing area that is relatively less demanding vis-a-vis weather and traffic while you are "learning the ropes" and the boat. The Cal 29 is quite a good safe, fast boat but you'll need time to learn her what-fors. Later on you might move her up to somewhere like the Alameda estuary where there is an abundance of good marinas and reasonable access to the Central Bay. We had our boat there for awhile, at Barnhill Marina--now known as Marina Village--mostly because my (much) better half was addicted to the Oyster Stew that used to be served at the adjoining Rusty Pelican after we finished sailing, and she liked Jack London Square, which was a short hop across the Estuary.

N'any case, good luck with the boat.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook