SailNet Community - View Single Post - First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012

kotyara is on a distinguished road
re: First boat: Cal 2-27, Pearson 28 or Islander 28?

Thanks for the advice guys. I completely agree, keeping her within easy reach of home/work would be important, as there're quite a few little things I'd like to work on. Coyote Point seems to be a good compromise in that sense: 30min drive, what seems like a pretty calm sailing area, but still within a one-way daysail to central bay. I'm not planning to go anywhere near the Gate for the foreseeable future, but it'd still be nice to have the option.

With that in mind, I moved the boat there yesterday. Time was a little short and wind very light, so I had to motor-sail once I crossed the Bay bridge unfortunately, but it was a nice trip nevertheless. Made me appreciate a good diesel as it could move the boat at hull speed without straining. Traffic was pretty hectic around there, I passed two container ships and a tug towing a large barge in the span of 45min it took me to cross the bridge.

The entrance to the Coyote Point is pretty tight and I managed to run aground lightly (I was barely moving at around 2 kts), but a gentle reverse got me free. Hopefully, I won't find any damage once she gets a haul out in a few weeks (I got it as part of the survey deal, might as well use it).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook