SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going thru alternator belts???
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012

stepping stone is on a distinguished road
Re: Going thru alternator belts???

Bought the belts from Westerbreke for this motor and had it double checked this week, its the right one.
It is mainly a tension thing none of the belts get tight enough there is a 1" slack in the belt and I know that not right. but you raised a question about the alternators pulley being loose and causing wobbling, I didn't check that but it wasn't apparent when putting the new belt on. Anyway it wasn't a sided to side belt wobble, but I'm going to check alignment and the alternator pulley anyway. and I'm going to extend the bracket also about 1" so I can get the tension I need.
I was on the other Catalina forum this morning and read where another guy had used the double pulley system kit for his XP25, he was having the same issue as I, so I'm going to check on that also. I do have four batteries plus a starting battery so I may have a large 100 amp alternator, I will check that out as well, and check to see if I have the right pulley on the alternator, they said that could be the problem also if alternators were changed out to accommodate the extra amperage needed to charge those batteries.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook