SailNet Community - View Single Post - What do you about Hurricanes?
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: What do you about Hurricanes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric-the-red View Post
....if you knew one was headed at you and you couldn't avoid it, what would you do? Anchor and stay on the boat, anchor and go to shore, mooring ball, pull out and bury? What's the best option?
That's like asking what the best booze to bring might be. Everyone will have an opinion.

For starters, the insurance companies wager that being on the hard is your best bet. However, they may be gambling on the overall average, not necessarily what is best for a direct hit. They are protecting nearby boats that would survive on stands, but could float over the pilings if left in the water. I haul out about five days in advance, when the odds are higher that I will get high winds and surge, rather than a direct hit.

A good mooring would do well in a well protected hurricane hole, but good luck finding one.

If I were cruising, I would find a serious hurricane hole (there are several around here) and drop a grossly oversized Rocna or Manson anchor on every inch of heavy chain I had. This setup should be standard for cruising anyway. If the 'cane was actually barreling down about a day out, when landing is very accurate, I would leave her there, go ashore, and hope for the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook