SailNet Community - View Single Post - "The chainplate will buff out and probably be okay"
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: "The chainplate will buff out and probably be okay"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf55 View Post
Monotone voice aside, it was very interesting. The question I have is that repair he made, circular plywood plugs in the knee, steel back plates sufficient? Should the plugs have been joined together? Fiberglass laid over the whole knee repair? Aluminum vs steel backing plates? Or am I just overbuilding again ? Thoughts?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
The mild steel backer was LAME - spend the extra $2 and get stainless strap from a scrapyard. Mild steel will ALWAYS rot on a boat - did you catch how it was in the head and the trim cover wasn't going back on?

Throughbolting them through the hull is plenty strong, especially with all that plywood bedded in epoxy as well.

That original installation is one of the worst designs I have ever seen - I mean really, cobbled up T-Bolts set in as studs? I guess glassed in chains might be a little worse but it would be debatable.

I dearly hope the Maestro didn't spec that horrible setup.

IMHO, the only way to have chainplates set up is to have them fully exposed and bolted through a knee or bulkhead.

P.S. The guy doing the video obviously isn't a SailNetter or he would NEVER have said, in all seriousness "That'll buff out".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 11-25-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook