SailNet Community - View Single Post - Florida: Stuart or Jupiter
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012
Banned

cherev is on a distinguished road
Re: Florida: Stuart or Jupiter

Floridians call the poor employment and pay situation the 'Sunshine tax'. You must have some independent means of support or own a Red Lobster franchise. A geriatric medical qualification might work. Plenty of demented people have settled into Florida to endlessly tell us about how things are done better Up North.

Like paying more taxes, albeit with sorry incomes, buys public amenities... Those who get liquored or drugged up, and then speed down dead-end roads into canals just thin out that herd.

However, the recent property bubble had made waterfront properties quite reasonable in West Florida circa 2010. The prices may be well on their way back up, but I've seen ads for pretty nice houses at circa $55K. There was also a stripping problem, which I doubt has lessened greatly.

I.e., a house looks fine from the sidewalk (if there is any) but on entering you find the wiring was pulled from the walls, the A/C is missing, and the appliances are long gone. Anything that can be sold for scrap got looted while the house was in the hands of those (expletive, deleted) banks.

From Sarasota on down to Naples, there are many properties on canals, and you can live in a house with its own dock. On Pine Island (St. James City) there are fairly deep canals behind all sorts of properties, from cabins to McMansions. At Matlacha and like places, where a road crosses to an island or waterfront community, there are often properties either right on a waterfront or very near docks.

Avoid Manatee County; hostile and greedy folk along those waterways.

Marinas are in an ever-tightening government-imposed bind that discourages them from hosting any live-aboards, and anyway the Northeast infestation resents folk having the Florida life-style without paying high real-estate taxes.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook