SailNet Community - View Single Post - ethanol vs. non-ethanol gasoline
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road
Re: ethanol vs. non-ethanol gasoline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnycatt View Post
ANYONE else notice a HUGE significance in performance between ethanol and NON-ethanol gasoline?
Oh yes. So much so that people who haven't experienced it think I'm exaggerating when I tell them the hell it's caused me. (We're talking 2-strokes, obviously.)

I chased phantom issues on a Johnson 60hp for most of a summer. (I'm a recovering stinkboater.) All summer long the story of my life was that the motor would run fine in the driveway and then have me floating dead down the river as soon as I got a mile from the launch. My best friend was a good battery because I'd lose count of how many times I had to restart the motor to get back. It would go like this: hard start... OVER REV...settle...engage fwd gear...run shortly...sputter...die. (repeat / repeat / repeat / repeat)

Had to be the fuel filter, then it had to be the mix, then it had to be a crack in the hose / bad bulb, then it had to be a coil, then it had to be the harness, then it had to be.... What it actually turned out to be was the ethanol fuel. And by God, don't let it sit in a gas tank for a few weeks before you run it. The ethanol evaporates and the chemistry goes completely to pot.

Ethanol fuel is da debbil!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook