SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2012

MarkofSeaLife is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
On this link that Sal posted and that is a recent article there are some interesting new statements and information:

Quoted:

[COLOR="Blue"]dry dock in Maine getting its hull caulked with oakum.

“It was clear the boat was filling with water but I don’t understand entirely why that happened and I’m not going to speculate. We were taking on more water than we were pumping out.”

trying to keep the pumps free of clogging debris.

increasingly seasick, drained by the 100-degree heat

I was just exhausted and so was everyone else,” Barksdale said.
I've always thought that its more than one problem that makes a catastrophe.

Does anyone know if new caulking can be a problem? Or if its new its gunna be great? I would have thought that if its not put in right, and its not so simple to do, then if a whole lot comes out that could explain it. But I still prefer the sprung plank theory.

Sea sickness, exhaustion and then something so "simple" as crap in the bilge pumps strainer. I know mine clogs and in an emergency I am just flicking the mesh. Perhaps I will put in a raw water type strainer which one can clean pretty well instantly... And can hold a lot more debris.

I have no doubt the mechanic was as courageous as the crew that went up the rigging. Being below the waterline in that mess in a leaking ship, seasick and exhausted must have been terrible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook