SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is cruising only for my parents? sorry, posted this one is general discussion too
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2006

LWinters is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to LWinters
Dawndreamer,

That line out of context is certainly a dangerous one. I nor any of the other young cruisers, or aspiring for that matter, think they are the first to pursue such a goal. This life seems to draw very literate folks and most I've met are well versed with those who went before including Slocum, Dumas, Knox-Johnston, Chichester, to the 100's of blogs one can find from small boat captains sailing today. Looking only at the sailing life also draws too small a picture. The boomers were "the" generation to redefine what life was all about. I've got no romantic notions about the 60's and 70's generation, but they certainly made it thier own more than any other that comes to mind.

In almost all persuits today I think we are standing on the sholders of giants. I'd just like to see more people my age pursue a life outside the norm earlier rather than later. I am not sure I believe that thier has to be a big bank account to "gain admission". With the number of aging, but solid fiberglass boats on the market there is a vessel that can fit the budget of any desire.

As a side note, on the desire to go adventuring John Anderson refers in a seminal book by the same title to what he calls the Ulysses Factor and says that it: «…is a complex of impulses in an individual prompting him to seek first hand physical experience of something hitherto unknown (to him) that has aroused his curiosity. It must include the impulse to learn firsthand through physical action: what, is immaterial; it may be to discover what lies beyond a range of hills, to see new stars by traveling to some new part of the earth’s surface to observe the heavens, to find the source of a river, to discover if there is a far side to an apparent limitless ocean. This is the main force - the physical satisfaction of man’s curiosity. »

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LWinters; 12-05-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook