SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Some new things. Barksdale confirmed my conviction that the boat was not being sailed but relied only on its engines and at the end only in one PCP.
really means

Quote:
I said that it seems that the boat was not being sailed at the time of the accident, when they had no engines left.PCP
Ok I get it. I asume you mean the accident being at the end of the voyage. I was wondering bevause That boat would have really suprised me motoring to get to that position, when previous reports said the motor was barely able to power the boat.

Riddle me this I cant seem to grasp this...one one hand you say refering to Barksdale:

Quote:
His opinion or the opinion of the rest of the crew is irrelevant to asses if he was a good Captain or not.PCP
then on the other hand you say

Quote:
The rest is already been told in other article even if this one is the best I have read.PCP
His opinion is irrelevant to asses but I will quote what he said and find it the best statement I have read, but I also quote the gCaptain bloggers too.

So is his opinion and statement relevant or not?

BTW To answer your question...I do sail quite frequently at night. I have done many miles of blue water sailing at night also. I also sail in the Chesapeake at night where there are visable buoys, but not in all locations. Do I trust my chartplotter at night? I ALWAYS run my digital radar concurrently on my boat Lets just say that if I use it to navigate I run a secondary GPS instrument ( AID/ GPS/ DSC VHF as well as an I Pad and Droid phone to insure that what I see has a backup as I dont completely trust the chartplotter. When offshore I assume its off 1 mile ( way more than the tolerances). In additon I would never enter an inlet, shoal area, channel in a rage at night using just a chartplotter. I have the sense/ experience to stand off, heave to and wait for daylight. I have been put in situations before during deliveries as well as my own coastal cruising where I have stood off entering until daylight. Better to be safe than sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook