View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: Need advice from cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsea View Post
Some great advice unfortunately, It would be financially foolish for me to leave before the 4 years. My company is one of the few that still offers a pension after 30 yrs. I'm at 26. So, if I left earlier, I would get zip until social security, ha, ha.
I have started prepping the boat and myself. I take week or trips on it every summer along with the daysailing here on lake Mich. I work in an engineering lab for a major diesel manufacturer. So, I have a pretty good knowledge of diesels.
I realize that cruising will not be all play. I wasn't planning on that. I would go nuts!
My long term plan goes something like this. Mississippi down to the gulf, to keys etc. then over to Bahamas. Island hop my way toward the Panama Canal. Through the canal toward Hawaii. Then, try to figure out a way to live aboard in the Hawaian islands. If its doable, I'd sell the house and upgrade to another boat. Does anyone have experience with sailing around the Haw. Islands??
4 more years, to ensure some sort of financial stability isn't that much of a sacrifice, and I agree that you should stick it out.

I also agree with WnW, that you should be unloading your personal posessions during that period, and living aboard, before "D-Day".

Where I feel your plan goes astray, is that you say you're sailing an OI33, and plan on sailing to Hawaii. I don't feel that your boat is a good choice for such a journey. Coastal cruising, and hopping over to the Bahamas? Sure.

You might want to re-think your vessel, or re-think your destinations. Otherwise, I feel that you're on solid ground.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook