SailNet Community - View Single Post - Second boat suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012
no longer reading SailNet

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Second boat suggestions?

1986 Pearson 28-2 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I recently moved up from a fin keel/tall rig Catalina 25 to a fin keel Pearson 28-2. It has most of the features that you are looking for (everything except for price). I don't know anything about this boat listed for sale, but it does have the shoal keel that you desire and is close enough for you to check out.

I'm loving the Pearson 28-2. Build and fit and finish quality are quite a bit nicer than the Catalina. The sailing performance also seems to be better (it points higher, but has similar performance in light air to my C-25 tall mast). The amount of storage and open space in the cabin is incredible and it is really nice having standing room. It feels huge because the main cabin is forward with a double sized quarterberth and head aft. The forward cabin is open to the V-berth.

Being under 30' long keeps my moorage lower. Ours has nice creature comfort systems including a heater and hot water. Motor access is pretty good.

The only downside that I can think of compared to the C-25 is that there are really only two double berths, although kids could sleep on the 5' long settes. There is a lot of freeboard which makes it get blown around quite a bit in high winds even with sails down, but the same is true of the C-25. The P28-2 feels a lot more stable in rough water though. Our fin keel heals quickly, but then stiffens up a lot and provides a nice ride.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook