SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012

aeventyr60 is on a distinguished road
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
Damn Jon,

Almost looks like mine without the side wings. My plotter is 9 inch for my getting older eyes.

I agree John. Actually I always tease my wife that her very first boat was a C&C 35. We married 7 years ago and I have had bher for 15 years. That most of us learned on sailfish, hobie, lightening and progressed to bigger keelboats. She started with a large boat. In teaching her and with people on their first
boats all the electronics dependence can not be always a good thing as you have pointed out before, which I generally agree with.

Where we may part ways is that it is fact and here to stay so it doesnt do well and you wont be able to convince especially the younger sailors who have been brought up with computers and gagets to make things easier by only speaking against it. There has to be a positive way to convince them to embrace the old with the new vs the old and the new. They are a great second reference point. And we have to get them to understand their limitation...just like a chart has them, This concept for them will be difficult.

Annecdotally I will tell you that I learned with charts, crossed the Atlantic with charts twice, and have embraced the new electronics as a great addition to the other knowledge. When teaching my wife about reading charts , not sure its because of her lack of spacial orientation in life ( cars maps included) or just her, but she struggled. She struggled understanding course plotting, current vectors etc. When I taught her using a chartplotter she learned it right away and could go back and apply it to charts. There are many others like this also.

I love those Gozzards. Not sure about the set up with the moveable settees in the salon whether I would like that, but the 44 is certainly big enough wed never have to sleep there. Do they sail well ? Never been on one except at the Annapolis Show.
Do you guys ever looks the water? what a horrible console to look at. Did you ever leave the office?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Your dreams minus your doubts equals your net worth"

Life is a short journey, filled with emptiness and pain. Get all the sailing and booty you can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook