SailNet Community - View Single Post - Second boat suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Second boat suggestions?

I'm not sure that you'll find too many other Pearson sailboats in the 27-30 foot range that have the features that you are looking for. In particular the earlier 28' models (the 28-1 made in the mid 70s to around 82, and the Triton made before that) were both tiller boats. The 28-2 (1985 until 1989) is a wheel boat. They are all pretty different boats, the Triton is a very stout full keel boat that is one of the most common small across ocean vessels. The 28-1 and 28-2 are coastal cruisers, but the 28-2 is a more modern design with the types of features that you were looking for.

Islander 28 shoal draft is another boat that I'd keep an eye out for. Wheels were common (if not the default) and the layout will feel familiar yet more spacious compared to the Catalina 25. An Islander 30 was one of our top choices and I'm moored next to one right now. They are very nice boats, and the Islander 28 looks very similar if not better.

Another interesting boat to look at if you get the chance is a S2 9.2C. I didn't really care for it myself, but it is an interesting and fairly successful attempt to put 2 cabins into a 30' boat. They all have wheels and are pretty common so it should be easy to find one to view.

I looked at a lot of boats in the 28-32' size late summer and early fall this year when we were shopping. I mentioned the 28-2 not only because we bought one, but because it is one of the few 28' boats that I know of that has all of your requirements (except for catbird seats, and they are easy to add).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook