SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Nordship

Quote:
Originally Posted by APP Mode View Post
Does anyone of you, tried to sail one of these models? If sailed Sirius32 or 38, Nordshipp 38 is ok.
Not me but some years ago I was very surprised when on a test sail between a Nordship DS 40 and a Wauquiez PS 40. with the two boats on the water at the same time, the Nordship 40 should up not only as a match as a slightly faster sailing boat. A friend of a friend has a Wauquiez PS 40 and the boat is fast, not a big difference to the Wauquiez 40 that is a performance cruiser.

I used to look at Nordships as boats with an wonderful interior but my idea was that they were on the slow side. The designer keep saying me that they were now fast boats (the new designs) but I used to give to what he said a big discount. Well, it seems that in this case there was no discount to be given and he was right: Fast sailing boats for luxury DS sailboats, no doubt.

Wauquiez Pilot Salon 40 - Dida Yacht details - Mare Charter d.o.o.

Regarding the Sirius 35DS the boat weights 7 400kg and has upwind 53.5m2 of sail area. The Nordship 36 weights 6500kg and the up wind sail area is 67m2, both boats with main and jib. Both boats have modern hulls keels and rudders so the Nordship is a much faster boat. That does not mean that the Sirius 35 is a very slow boat for the type of boat but will make a Nordship a very fast one (for the type)

Now to give you a better picture of the sail performance let's compare it with one of the most recent 36 performance cruisers, the Dufour 36 performance: Weight: D-6400kg....N-6500kg; Sail area: D-72.1m2 .... N-67m2. Impressed, well you should be especially because that difference on the sail area is even smaller because the Dufour sail area is taken with a 114% genoa and the Nordship with a jib. Bottom point, surprisingly the sailing performance of the Nordship 36 will have a lot more to do with the one of the Dufour 36 performance than with the one of the Sirious 35.

You can even race this boat and let a lot of guys with the mouth open

If you think you can detect a personal preferance for the Nordship 36 regarding the Sirius 35, you are right

If I had designed that boat (a 36ft DS) I would have changed nothing and I doubt that I could come with a visually nicer design and that's the best I can say about any boat.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 11-26-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook