SailNet Community - View Single Post - Second boat suggestions?
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012
always busy with sailing

Alex W is on a distinguished road
Re: Second boat suggestions?

The weird thing with the S2 center cockpit is that you give up all exterior storage space. There are no cockpit lockers at all. The freeboard also scared me away. The 28-2 has a lot of freeboard as well, but it feels like it gets blown around about as much or a little less than the C-25 (probably due to the extra weight). It is hard for me to make a direct comparison though, our new slip is a lot more sheltered than the one where we kept the C-25.

The P28-2 has a huge cockpit locker that is a lot like the dumpster on the C-25. Our's has more "systems" in it though, the hot water heater, cabin heater, holding tank, and shore power charger are all in there. There is still plenty of room for 6 fenders, mooring lines, a toolbox, deck brush, and the normal locker things.

Islander makes really nice boats, although the fabric headliner makes it harder to inspect them for leaks. I don't know how common they are on the east coast, but they are very common over here. Another 28 footer that often has a wheel here is the San Juan 28, but I don't think those are on the east coast much at all. It is also an IOR design, something that I was personally avoiding.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook