SailNet Community - View Single Post - Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012

L124C is on a distinguished road
Re: Just Bought a 1967 35 Alberg Ericson Sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjVied View Post
Capt Mike I too just purchased a 1967 Pearson- Alberg 35. To give some comparison. Mine had the hull redone (new glass, coating, etc) in 1996. Then over 4 years, the deck was replaced, interior completely redone, refirg (large one) added, and finely, a new westeblake 4 cy diesel. In 1998, while the deck was being record, the mast was replaced with a Hood in-mast furling system. Approximately $55,000 was invested by a wealthy owner.
I'm looking at a 1965 Alberg 35 Yawl with a tiller. The boat seems sound, though it does have some deck rot/delamination. The guy owned it for over a decade, and has done almost nothing to it. All cushions need replacement as do the toe rails (some major cracks), and interior woods needs refinishing. I think I would paint the Formica wood grain on the bulkheads white. Beside the tachometer, the only working instrument is the depth sounder, which he claims works, though, the "graph feature" no longer functions. Looks like this thing should be in the Smithsonian! (picture attached). On the positive side, the sails are good and he replaced the A4 with a Beta Marine 20 HP Diesel which has about 25 hours on it. If I go forward, I WILL get a survey BTW!
So, it seems that right now, this boat is a flotation device for a nice engine! Though, it could be more with a fair amount of cosmetic work and some deck work.
Questions:
Why was your hull "re glassed". Are we talking gel coat or something structural?
How has the boat worked out for you?
The mast step compression beam and supports seem sound, but show water stains. (Pictures attached). The cabin top doesn't sag under the mast, but the bulkhead door seems warped (closes, but doesn't latch). Is anyone aware of issues with this system on these boats? Hard to tell what lurks on a 45 year old boat with a glass coach top liner!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1125121045a.jpg (39.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Compression post beam water stains.jpg (28.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg mast step beam 1.jpg (27.6 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook