SailNet Community - View Single Post - Winterization service in Annapolis
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012

Gunk-Holer is on a distinguished road
Re: Winterization service in Annapolis

I have a related, but slightly different question. After several years being boat-less, I am about to close on 2006 Hunter 33. It is by far the biggest, nicest boat i have ever own, and i worked very hard for many years to be able to "afford" it (to whatever extent any of us normal people can really afford our boat addictions). I don't know if it is age/wisdom or just paranoia, but I am crazy worried about being able to close on it in time to get it winterized before something freezes and breaks. In everyone's experience living in this area (I am from up north), how close am I to being in extremis with respect to winterization?

I need to motor it around the bay a couple more times to move it from the owner's slip to a boat yard for survey and then to wherever I am going to keep it (probably Magothy Marina or the military marina at Carr Creek). I figure I can winterize the potable water, heads/wastewater and A/C systems right away.

I am worried about the Yanmar. I don't know how much of a pain it is to get the right water/anti-freeze mixture in the freshwater side, and, figure I might need several gallons of fairly expensive, high end anti-freeze for both the fresh and salt-water sides??? I am not as worried about the cost of the anti-freeze (although it will stink if I have to do it twice and it uses multiple gallons of $10-15/gal anti-freeze each time). I am worried about getting it done in time to ensure I don't crack the block...

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Gunk-Holer Joe
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook