SailNet Community - View Single Post - Going thru alternator belts???
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Going thru alternator belts???

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Eh, smarten up better than our Canajian neighbors?

When's the last time you heard a Canajian carpenter measuring lumber in those handy decimeters? Nope, they still use our four by eight (foot) plywood sheets, and our two by four (inch) studs, and they cut fits to the 1/16" of an inch, not the millimeter.

Incidentally, you can't use millimeters for woodworking, because as the humidity changes, the wood changes size and the millimeters turn out to be too precise, they no longer fit.

Last I heard, Canajian plumbers aren't too fond of metric, either.
The fact that the States is still Imperial is the main reason why so much of it still exists here. Most people here under 40 years old don't use Imperial unless they have to since they were never taught it. If the States had converted back when, Imperial wouldn't exist except for restoration of old cars & boats.

P.S. Being an old fart, I still think in Imperial and keep my computerized dashboards set to "English", but I recognize the wisdom of a world standard measurement system. Since our money is "metric" I've never really understood the resistance to changing over. I do take issue with some metric unit sizes but that's a separate issue.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 11-26-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook