SailNet Community - View Single Post - HMS Bounty in trouble...
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: HMS Bounty in trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chef2sail View Post
He shouldnt have made either decision, he should have had the experience to heave to and tough it out, Like everyone else in the 1500 did.

Advancing toward the Bahamas Bank and shallow water created large seas and was a mistake.
I don’t know, I’d hardly describe the NE Providence Channel as “shallow”, Dave… Don’t have a chart handy at the moment, but I’m gonna guess it probably averages somewhere between a mile or two deep, for most of the 40 miles or so between the tip of Great Abaco and N Eleuthera… If he’d run for the shelter of Spanish Wells, or Hole in the Wall or Sandy Point, he probably wouldn’t have come on soundings again until being in the lee of Royal Island, or Great Abaco, or whatever other option he might have chosen…

Sounds like a couple of his crew was pretty sick, and had been for days… Prolonged, serious seasickness can easily lead to dehydration and other serious medical issues, I doubt many medical professionals would endorse “toughing it out” in such a situation... Especially since the easily approached safe haven, and excellent medical clinic - or even a 2-3 hour fast ferry connection to Nassau for anyone seriously ill - would have been available at Spanish Wells... just another half a day’s sailing away…

Really has to make you wonder about the value of the advice given by the 1500 rally organizers for your $1500, when superior advice is available on Sailnet for free, no? (grin)

Last edited by JonEisberg; 11-26-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook