SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Vision Boats: Barracuda

This one is for you W.

I believe you know well this boat but most of us don't and is just an incredible boat. A 32ft trimaran made of wood. Yes that brown color is real wood and it is a resistant boat. He was been raced hardly on the last 7 years and is still in one piece.

Technical Specification
Length in total: 9,85 m.....Length overall centre hull: 9,2
Length folded: 11,50 m.....Beam max: 7,4m
Beam folded: 3,6 m.....Draft incl. centreboard: 2,0 m
Draft excl. centreboard: 0,45 m.....Max mast height over water level:15,50 m
Weight ready for sail: 1377 kg
Mainsail: 40 m².....Jib: 18 m².....Asymmetric Spinnaker: 85 m²
Design: Jan Skov Andersen

They say about the boat:

The trimaran “Barracuda” is a comfortable family boat as well as a fast sailing boat suitable for racing. The main hull is equipped with a pantry, WC, full standing headroom and 5 bunks. In the pontoons is space for 2 spare bunks and lots of storage.

With an easy to handle folding system the width of the trimaran can be reduced to 3.6 m, so it is possible to use an ordinary berth space in a marina. You can sail the boat directly on to many beaches, because of the kick-up centreboard and rudder. And not at least, because of the extra layer from Kevlar on the bottom of the main hull. You can carry “Barracuda” on a trailer to foreign destinations. Barracuda's weight is only 1.377 kg incl. everything from anchor to sail.

The trimaran “Barracuda” is built in Cedar strip method with west red cedar. Usually the wood gets sealed with fibreglass and afterwards painted. In opposite to this older method “Barracuda” is covered both inside and outside with transparent fibreglass. Barracuda requires maintanence like other fiberglass boats. This method is quite unusual for a boat in this size, but very effective. The construction of the trimaran is very strong and light. With this kind of finish you can admire the special beauty of the wood.

Visionboats - For sale new price 115.000€

“Yes, I sale the drawings for Barracuda. They will coat $2.500. It doesn’t take longer to build a trimaran in Wood then the Farrier trimaran in fibreglass.” — Kind regards, Jan

A Sleek-Looking Barracuda Trimaran from Denmark | Small Trimarans

The boat has a very good cruising interior if we consider the incredible sailing performance (sorry about the low quality of the photos, but I guess that I will open an exception for this one. It deserves it:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook